Wednesday, June 25, 2008

HAL HAVILAND: Horse Act


Hal Haviland, formerly an unsmiling whiteface clown, performing his comedy horse act.

I think I may have discovered why Hal wouldn't smile in any of his whiteface publicity photos. While I was at the ICHOF I found a photo of the Polack show alley in the mid 50s in Chester and Joe Sherman's scrapbook. In the photo, Hal has his head thrown back, laughing very hard about something, and you can see that his teeth are pretty crooked.

He's smiling very nicely here, with what I guess are a different set of choppers.

My guess is that he was probably self-conscious about his crooked teeth, but it makes for some pretty strange publicity shots. You can find some of his pictures but searching the clownalley.net archives in the upper left corner at the top of the page.



No comments: