Saturday, July 15, 2006

Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros: Buck Nolan

Buck Nolan

Date of birth: February 1936 Princeton, West Virginia, USA
Date of death: November 2004 Richmond, Virginia, USA. (colon cancer)

His real last name was Buxton, but performed under the name Buck Nolan "The World's Tallest Clown" and was with the Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. Circus for many years. He received modest royalty checks for his film work in the 1993 Debra Winger movie, "Wilder Napalm," and reportedly turned down the role of Darth Vader in Star Wars because he had a contractual conflict for another obligation.

After 33 years as a professional circus clown, Buxton retired to his home in Princeton where he traveled around to flea markets in the area. (Bluefield Daily Telegraph, WV)

Photo courtesy of Bill Strong
http://yesterdaystowns.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the picture of "Uncle Buck". He was a very close family friend while I was growing up- The happy memories will always bring a smile to my face.. I'm sure he & my dad are still "clowning around" on the other side *grin* -Dina

Anonymous said...

I knew him as Charlie. His real name was Charlie Buxton. He and my mom were best friends from their days in the circus until he died. His favorite thing to do was splatter a pie in someones face as a birthday gag. He got my mom a few years back. My mom collects elephants so he and I were always in a contest to see who could find my mom the smallest elephant. She said today she will always miss him.

Retha